Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday September 21, 2011



Tomorrow I will finally teach my first math lesson all by myself.  After 35 years of teaching, you would think I’d feel more confident in what I am doing!  I think it’s just that I know the way I teach is somewhat different than the way Peter teaches.  I don’t want to slow the students down or confuse them.  I’ll be teaching (rather reviewing) volume.  I already miss having my manipulatives available to give them a more hands-on experience.  Those that haven’t already grasped the concept would probably be the ones that would benefit most by using them at this point.  It’s also hard to step into someone else’s classroom and follow their procedures rather than setting up your own.  I’ll do my best, however.

The electricity was restored this morning around 10:30, but there was still no water in the shower until just a short while ago.  I am SO ready for a shower!  I’m nervous to use my hair dryer now, though, because they think that might have caused the fuse to blow.  Yet, it’s worked the other days without a problem, so they aren’t really sure.

Unfortunately, I had to throw out most of the food from my refrigerator since it was off for more than 24 hrs.  I don’t have a way to get to the store tonight, so I guess I’ll have some Top Ramen or a grilled cheese sandwich.  I think the cheese will still be good.  Maybe I can get to the store tomorrow.

I’ve been on a bit of a “pity pot” today feeling somewhat sorry for myself and missing all the “luxuries” (by Kenyan standards) of home.  I also found out that there IS NO hot water.  So, I guess it will be cold showers for the next two months!  I’ll manage to get used to that, I hope.  I’m already getting used to having VERY low flying planes go right over my house several times a day since I’m right in the line of their flight patterns going into and out of the Ukunda Airstrip.

The Kenyans continue to be such kind people!  Samuel and Grace have tried really hard to make everything just right for me here.  Kenneth is always offering to help me with things, though he doesn’t always have the time to actually follow through with them – he has good intentions.   The teachers and students at school have all been very welcoming and friendly.  Several of my Kenyan friends have called me at different times just to see how I am doing, to see if everything is okay with me, or to wish me a good day.

Samuel told me today that since I moved here, this is the first time he has ever heard Grace speak English.  I was so surprised!  She seems to communicate fairly well with me.  I’m teaching her that Samuel is a “he” not a “she”.  We laugh each time.  I’m also teaching them that Pauline, Samuel’s sister, lives in Germany not German.   We have had a few opportunities to talk about my religion, and they want to know more.  Samuel’s father had a Book of Mormon once that Samuel had enjoyed reading, but someone borrowed it and never gave it back.  I told him I was going to get another one for him, and he seemed pleased.  They are members of the Free Pentecostal Church that’s just down the street from my house.  They’ve been asking me a lot of questions about the church, America, Americans, etc.  Samuel says all he really knows about America is from reading books.  He seems to have several misunderstandings about things.  I’m hoping I can teach them how it really is in America.

Well, that’s about it for today.  It’s 5:00.  I’d better go get dinner ready while I can still see in case the power goes out again, since it starts to get dark by 6:00.

Have a nice day,
Kadi

No comments:

Post a Comment