Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thursday, September 22, 2011



Well, I made it through my math lesson today without any problems.  I will have to get used to having far less time to teach than I am used to.  Some days I will only have 35 mins., and some days I will have two 35 min. periods either back-to-back or at two different times.  I’m used to a solid 90 min. period.  I’ll just have to cut way back.

When I walked into Peter’s class this morning, all the kids started clapping for me!  I think they were glad to see me.  I haven’t been in their class since last Thursday because Friday I was moving, Monday I thought I had pink eye so I stayed home, Tuesday I only worked with Job, Weds. I’d had no power or water for over 24 hours to get ready, so I stayed home.  That was a nice reception and a nice way to start my morning.

At break, I heard a loud “crack” and looked in the direction of the sound to see a teacher caning a student on the back of his legs for misbehaving.   I couldn’t tell for sure, but I think it is a long stick made out of bamboo or a similar wood.   He hit him with the cane 3 or 4 times.  Apparently, that isn’t extremely common but definitely a form of punishment that is used.  It broke my heart – it was really hard to watch!  I’m told they also pinch the students and slap them.  I’ve seen them slap, but not pinch.  I’m so glad WE don’t use that form of punishment in America!  Students from my classes, how about you?!?

I walked to Nakumatt after school and picked up my Visa card.  I’m very grateful to have gotten it back.  AND I was quite proud of myself – I caught my first matatu today – YES, it WAS a matatu – and I made it home in one piece.  I’m getting better at this each day.

Now, if I could just figure out some recipes to cook ONLY on the stove that have very basic ingredients (without ready-made soup, sauces, packets of spices, etc.), I’d be in business.  I’m going to do a little research online before I go to the store with Kenneth tonight to see what I can come up with.  Any suggestions?  Please email me your ideas if you do.  I’m talking mostly main dishes, but perhaps a dessert from time-to-time would be nice.  They mostly cook with rice, corn maize flour (for ugali), and beans.   I’m going to learn how to cook all of those things their way, but I’d like some “modified” good ole’ American food.

Last night when Samuel came on guard duty, he said he had a gift for me and handed me a romance novel that has a Mormon in the story.  He thought I might like to read it.  Awhile later, I let him read my Ensign Magazine because he just has to sit out there all night until 6:00 AM.  He was glad to have it.  Later, he called through the window and said he had a present for me.  I couldn’t imagine what it was!  It was now quite dark, and I didn’t have my contacts in.  When I opened my sliding door, he had something in his hand, but I couldn’t see what it was.  I said, “What is it?”  He stuck his hand through the grate in the gate and out flew a bird right at me and into my living room!  I screamed because it surprised me so much.  He got a good laugh out of that one!  We are getting to be good friends, and I’m grateful for that.

It’s getting hotter and hotter each day.  It drains my energy just to walk to Nakumatt and walk home from the matatu.  My back has started hurting a lot every day lately, so I think I’ll lie down for a while before I do my grocery list.

Here are some pictures of the outside of my house that I thought you'd like to see.







Have a great day,
Kadi

No comments:

Post a Comment