Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Thursday, September 13, 2011

Since today's been pretty normal, I thought I wouldn't have as much to say and could take some time to send a few pictures.  I put labels with the ones I sent yesterday, but I guess I did something wrong because they didn't show up with the pictures.  I'm going to try a new approach today.

First, however, I wanted to tell you about last Friday at school.  Every Friday, they have an assembly and flag ceremony outside in the morning with all the students.  That's when they give general announcements to everyone.  They also introduced me to all the students as a new member of the staff  and asked me to tell the kids a little about myself.

                                             Students from Word of Life Christian Academy

Next, the kids from Standards 1, 2, and 3 went back to their classrooms while the older students walked across the street to the Word of Life church where they had a thing called "P.P.I." - I don't remember what that stands for, but it's basically a worship service and short bible study.  They had several students get up in front and sing a song, all the students then sang a few songs, there were a few speakers and then the main speaker spoke to the students about planning for success.  It was sort of a pep talk especially for the 8th Standard because they will be taking their most important exams in November.  That is the end of their primary school years, and it is apparently extremely important for them to do well.  All the students will be taking exams then, as well, so it was also for them.

I didn't catch his name, but the speaker made some very good points:  God is a planner, he is not a God of disorder.  He mentioned a saying I've heard many times - "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."  He said there are four things you need to do to plan for success:  1.  Do you have a plan?  What are your goals?  2.  Do some research and evaluation.  Know your strengths and weaknesses.  3.  Seek help.  4.  Involve God.   Ask God to guide you and enlighten your mind.  If you plan, you have a relaxed life (not always tense) and an enjoyable life.  Even though I'm not a member of their faith, I was very uplifted by the service.  I quite enjoyed it.  It went from about 8:30 to 10:00, but it seemed to go by rather quickly.


                                                            Word of Life Church

Salim, my tuktuk driver, showed up at school at 12:30 in a different tuktuk and with another driver.  His tuktuk was broken down (no surprise!), so he had the other guy pick me up.  What a difference in the ride!  It still hurt my back over the bumps, but it was much smoother AND actually had a short door on both sides so I wouldn't fall out.  Too bad HE isn't my driver on a regular basis.  I figure I've only got a couple more days to live with the one I've been getting, but I noticed the other guy's number in the window, so I wrote it down for future reference.

                                Tuktuk in Mombasa from last summer (much nicer than mine now)

After school this afternoon, I walked along the beach and discovered the camel's tracks I've been hoping for since last summer.  I haven't been sure where to find it, but wanted to go for a ride.  I just knew he was somewhere along the beach.   Tomorrow, I'm meeting the man at 3:00 to have my camel ride.  I haven't seen the camel or what the seat looks like, so this is sight unseen.  I'm so EXCITED!

It's Mandy's birthday today, so we are all going out for a Chinese dinner to celebrate.

Until next time,
Kadi

No comments:

Post a Comment