Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tuesday, September 20, 2011



LOWS  & HIGHS for the day:

This has been a bad and good day for many reasons.  I’ll share them here.

Low – Power went out in the middle of doing my hair at 7:10 AM, so I looked half done today.
High – Something told me to stop just as I was about to start my breakfast and go do my hair.  If I hadn’t, I would have looked even worse.   Also, I didn’t wash my hair or it would have been soaking wet and REALLY ugly today.

Low – When I took my first bite of cereal, I realized the milk I bought only 4 days ago had gone bad, so I had to throw away over a quart of milk.
High – At least I had orange juice to drink to wash down the “dry” cereal.  (I just ate the flakes but not the milk.)

Low – I was told to be at the bus stop at 7:30 so I could ride the Word of Life school bus to school.  I wondered why it was so early since it only takes about 5 mins. to drive to school.  Well, it was because I was catching it on the beginning of what turned out to be a 50 min. run to gather up all the students before going right past my street again headed toward school.
High – I had a way to get to school!  And, I also got to experience a Kenyan school bus … something far different than ours.  Kids were crammed everywhere even sitting up next to the driver and in the aisles.  There were up to 5 kids on a seat!

Low – I went to Nakumatt to buy some more milk, a flashlight, some candlestick holders, matches, and a couple of other things.  When I got to the checkout stand, I discovered that my Visa card was missing.  I figured it was somewhere in my bag and I just couldn’t see it, so I gave them my Mastercard (which doesn’t always work here).  When I got home, I looked through everything I owned and couldn’t find my Visa anywhere!  
High - In thinking through when I used it last, I realized I was at Natumatt last Friday night when I used my Visa.  I called them, and luckily, someone had found it in the parking lot  and had turned it into Customer Service!  Thank goodness there are still honest people around! 

Low – I thought I was catching my first matatu at Nakumatt to go home.  When I climbed in next to the driver and tried to hand him my 30 shillings, he refused it.  I asked, “Isn’t that how much it is for a matatu?”   He replied that he ˆwasn’t a matatu.  He was a safari driver (it was a plain white van and he pulled over on the side of the road for me as I stood there waiting for the matatu, so what else would I have thought?).  On the way to my street, he started asking a few too many personal questions and then offered to drive me to my house.  I said the side of the road by the church was just fine, and I got out.  Whew!!!
High – Nothing happened to me, and I got a free ride home.  I’ll definitely have to be more observant next time!

Low – I got home to discover my power was STILL out!  It’s now 9:10 PM, and it’s still out and won’t even get looked at until tomorrow.  This morning, I thought it was just another power outage like we’ve had the past few days and would end shortly, but then I realized that MY house was the ONLY one without power!  I also have no water!
High – I had my flashlight, matches, and candlesticks I just bought ready for use.  I had some leftovers in the refrigerator that I was able to warm up without much preparation, and Samuel brought me over several liters of water to wash my dishes so I wouldn’t have bugs all over them in the morning.   I was able to warm my dinner up on the gas burner even without electricity.  I still have the bottled water I bought in my water cooler.

Low – As I opened my refrigerator, a cockroach started running around INSIDE!!!  I about died, but I called Samuel in (he had just come on duty to guard me for the night).  Everything in my frig and freezer (including the milk I just bought this afternoon) will probably be bad by tomorrow.
High – Samuel rescued me from the cockroach.  I had food for dinner that was still okay.

Low – Kenneth offered to let me stay at Shamba la Salama, but he didn’t even have a ride home from the coconut factory  himself.  So, I decided I’ll just stay here for the night and go to school late, whenever the power comes back on and I can shower.
High – It’s late enough now, that I can at least try to go to bed before too long.

Low – I can’t recharge my laptop or phone until the power goes on.
High – They were both sufficiently charged that I was able to use them tonight.

Well, that’s my day.  How did yours go?

Later,
Kadi

(P.S.  My eye looks better today than it has for the past two days.  I think it was sleeping with the fan on right above my head that caused the problem.  By the way, you can now comment right on my blog if you click on that at the bottom.  I’d love to hear from you, although I haven’t yet figured out how to respond back.)

No comments:

Post a Comment