Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tuesday, October 4, 2011



Hi Again,

I think I spoke too soon the other day about the mosquitoes.  The very night that I wrote in my blog, I had somehow managed to corral a mosquito inside my mosquito net that buzzed in my ear several times during the night.  I kept slapping myself in the head trying to kill it, but it wasn’t until hours later that I finally decided to actually let it light on me and then slap it.  I got it!  In the meantime, however, I had inadvertently made myself a captive to its feasting throughout the night.  I had several mosquito bites in the morning, and I was very tired!

                    If you've never seen a mosquito net before, here's what it looks like.

Sunday turned out differently than I had planned.  Kenneth’s car broke down again, so he had to borrow one.  It was small, but he managed to fit three adults and six children in it.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t room for me, so I had to stay home.  I was tempted to walk down to the Pentecostal church on the corner, but decided to just sit out on my porch and read my scriptures.  They use a microphone there that is so loud I could hear the choir “singing” (it sounded more like shouting to music) and the preacher yelling out his sermon – and I’m over a block away!  I decided I was close enough to that.

That night, however, Samuel and I listened to several conference talks on my laptop, and I taught him some hymns that he wanted to learn.  I also taught him some of my favorites.  I found a site on the internet that actually played the music and had the words along with it, so we sang hymns for nearly an hour.  We had a discussion on several subjects.  It was a good evening.  Yesterday, he said he’d like to go to church with me and talk to the missionaries.  I hope there will be room in the car next week for BOTH of us.  I got the missionaries’ phone number today, and they are hoping to meet with us next Tuesday if that works for Samuel.

My power went out again yesterday for most of the day, but eventually came back on before dinner.  I cooked a Kenyan dish (I think) that was sent to me by the owner of the bed and breakfast that we will be staying with in Cape Town.  I actually liked it better tonight.  I think it had time for the flavors to blend better.   Then, I tried to make chocolate no-bake cookies.  I was so excited to think I could still make a dessert without having an oven!  Well, between not having any measuring spoons or cups thus having to “eyeball” everything, having oatmeal that tasted like Strawberry Cream Oreos (I had them in the same plastic container), and maybe cooking it too long or something, they were AWFUL!!!  They had that strawberry flavor and completely crumbled.  I got maybe five cookies to stay together.  I was looking forward to giving Samuel and Grace some for their family and taking some to the teachers at school today.  Instead, I had to give a bag of crumbs to Samuel and didn’t even try to take any to school.    I’m going to find some measuring spoons and cups somewhere, get some new oatmeal, and try it again soon.

Today, I went over to swim my laps and teach Caroline and Evelyn again.  This time, I started at the beginning (upon Tayler’s and my water aerobics teacher’s suggestions).  We just blew bubbles in the water, got their heads clear under the water, learned how to float on their stomachs and backs, and even to turn over from the front to the back, and how to push off from the side of the pool and float across the small part of the pool where they could still touch.  They were awesome!  I was really proud of their progress today.  Last week they were both so afraid of the water, but today, they made great strides on feeling more comfortable.  Here they are in the pool after I was finished working with them, and they just wanted to keep practicing.

                                         Evelyn and Caroline just floating around in the pool

                                             Evelyn

                                               Caroline

I’m feeling very welcomed by the people here.  Nicholas who works for Kenneth, wants to come visit me tomorrow.  Ternet, a female teacher at school, wants to take me to her village and show me around in a couple of weeks.  Jane, the cook at Louis’, wants me to come to her home, Kenneth and Caroline say I’m welcome in their home anytime, Samuel and Grace have both gone out of their way to help me with things, teach me things, and take me for walks into Ukunda to show me around and to shop.  Peter, the Standard 5 teacher I work with, wants to come over to visit some time.  It’s nice to feel like there are people out there who care about me!

Probably on my next blog, I’m going to tell you a little more about the school system over here compared to ours.  Stay tuned…

Kadi

No comments:

Post a Comment