Monday, October 17, 2011

… Monday, October 17, 2011


Samuel came over to guard me later, and we had a long discussion on many topics.  He’s gone from 7-8 cigarettes per day on average to only 2!  He’s making great progress.  Because we talked until late, I didn’t get my blog finished, so it’s now Monday morning.  I went to sleep last night hearing Samuel trying to sing some hymns on his own in his little guard house.  He called out to my window and asked me to sing “Come, Come Ye Saints” again for him.  That was the hymn that I said was my favorite.  We practiced a few times through the window, then I went back to bed and again heard him singing.

Well, my excitement over no rain was short lived.  It’s currently raining AGAIN - DAY 11 OF RAIN!  Ugh!  I hope it clears up enough so I don’t have to stand in pouring rain when I go to catch the matatu for school this afternoon.

I’ve got a busy week planned – most of it is weather-permitting, so we’ll see how that goes.  Today, I want to teach Grace how to make rice pudding and attempt the Lion House’s Taco Soup using a recipe off the internet for the packet of taco seasoning since they don’t sell that here. 

Tomorrow, Pauline Maina, the owner of my house, is coming from Germany to stay here for two weeks.  That ought to be interesting since I’ve now sort of got a routine going and don’t really know what she will expect to do while living here.  This house isn’t big enough to really separate people very far.  For instance, I like to listen to my music on my laptop while I’m working in the kitchen or on my computer.  I don’t know if that will bother her.  She also didn’t want me to tell Samuel and Grace that she was coming so she could “check up on them.”  I haven’t said anything, but apparently this is how she operates, and Samuel has gotten “underground” word that she’s coming soon.

Tomorrow also, the missionaries are coming at 2:00 to meet with Samuel and Grace, then the three of us will go down to Kenneth’s so I can swim laps and teach swimming lessons while the missionaries meet with a few people there.  Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and also the pool will be clean.

Wednesday, I need to go up to Ukunda to pick up some jewelry I ordered.

Friday, if I can get out of teaching for a day, Kenneth said that Grace and I could ride into Mombasa with him.  He has work in there and will drop us off.  Then, Bro. and Sis. Scott, the senior missionaries, offered to take us to the best places to shop.  I want to get some souvenirs as well as buy Grace’s children a new outfit each.  I don’t know if they have any retail stores for that or not.  I’ve only seen second-hand clothing stands on the side of the road.  I’d like to surprise her with this, but I wouldn’t know the kids’ sizes.  I’ve already gotten her a necklace (unbeknownst to her) that  she was admiring when we went to look at jewelry one day.  I’ve been trying to think what I could give Samuel.  As I’m writing, it’s just come to me – a white shirt for church.  We had a discussion about that yesterday.  After shopping, I’m hoping to take all of us to lunch before we head back home.

Saturday, I’ll try to go to Ternet’s village again.  Her kids go to our school, so I’m hoping I can get pictures of her house, as well, to show you how a typical student lives.

Well, if I’m going to have time to do my cooking before I leave at 1:15, I’d better get going.  Everything takes so much more time to do here.

Have a bright, sunny day today, and enjoy its rays for me!
Kadi

No comments:

Post a Comment