Monday, October 17, 2011

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Wow!!! I just realized I’ve been gone exactly two months (by the date, at least) today.  So much has taken place in that two month’s time that it’s almost hard for me to even think back to what my life was like before I left on Aug. 16.  I feel so out-of-touch with everything going on back home, which I suppose is a good thing because it allows me to just focus on being here and the present moment.  That was my goal when I left, so I guess I’m achieving it.

I ended up not going to Ternet’s village yesterday because it continued to rain off and on all day.  We’re aiming for next Saturday.

Last night I think I had the biggest scare of any I’ve had in regards to bugs, creepy-crawly things, etc.  I was sitting in my living room writing emails when I saw something out of the corner of my eye moving across the tile floor.  I glanced down and saw a gigantic centipede about 7” long crawling VERY close to my foot!  I screamed, jumped off the couch, and called Samuel immediately to come in the house to kill it.  He had to hit it with his shoe several times before he killed it.  It really scared me because I know they are poisonous!  All I can say is I HATE THE BUGS, INSECTS, AND CRAWLY THINGS HERE!!!   (Check out "Giant African Centipedes online for a picture.)  I looked it up on the internet and found this information:
Symptoms:
The history of a centipede bite is fairly straightforward; the victim typically sees and identifies the characteristic centipede before, or soon after being bitten.
Symptoms which are most likely to develop include:
   severe pain, which is usually in proportion to the size of the centipede
   swelling and redness
   swollen, painful lymph nodes in the regions of the bitten limb
   headache
   palpitations or a racing pulse
   nausea and vomiting
   anxiety
   local itching and burning sensations
The wound left by the bite may be accompanied by swelling, redness, and small puncture wounds which may form a circular pattern. This wound may be susceptible to local ulcerations and necrosis.
Treatment:
Individuals who are bitten by centipedes are sometimes given a urine test to check for muscle tissue breakdown and/or an EKG to check for heart and vascular problems.  (There were other treatments, too, but these were the most drastic.) 

Today was a great day!  Samuel borrowed a tie from Kenneth and went to church with us and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I went with him to the Gospel Essentials class (for new members and those investigating the church).  He participated several times and had some great answers.  He is well versed in the Bible and has discovered that the Book of Mormon has enlightened his mind to deeper understanding of the Bible.  During class he even had an “ah-ha” moment regarding something he has been wondering about.

In Sacrament meeting, they did something my ward does on rare occasions – during part of the meeting, the Senior missionary couple who were giving the talks had whomever wanted to to come up to the pulpit, say their favorite hymn, why it was their favorite, and then the congregation would sing the first verse.  This was most enjoyable for Samuel because he loves to sing, and he and I had been practicing some hymns already. 

It rained slightly before we left for church, but it poured in Mombasa!  The roads were the worst I’ve ever seen.  There were large puddles of water that almost covered the road in places, and people were all over the place trying to dodge water, mud, etc. while they drove or pulled carts on the road.  I decided my driving lessons could wait another week!

 This isn't as bad as some places, but you can see how everyone is everywhere.

By the time we got home from church, the sun had come out (the sunniest it’s been in TEN days!).  I was thrilled to see the sun again and hopeful that it would continue.  I went over to Samuel and Grace’s to take pictures of their family and home while it was nice weather.  Here are some pictures:

                         (L to R) Samuel, Grace, Zipporah, Sylvia, and Gabriel
Door on left goes into one-room house.  Door on right is for storage, clothes line and well (about 40 ft. deep).
                             Their chicken coop connected to their house





                                         How Grace cooks with charcoal.
                                            Cooking over a fire.
                                             Samuel and me.
                                                 Grace and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment